If you are looking to add affordable fibre capabilities to your network switch, Netshield can source compatible 10GB SFP Modules for Alcatel / Nokia, Allied Telesis, Avaya, BNT/IBM, Cisco, D-Link, Emulex, Enterasys, Extreme, F5 Networks, Dell/Force10, Fortinet, HP, Huawei, Intel, Juniper, Linksys, MRV, Netgear, Palo Alto and Riverbed that will be perfect for your budget.
Understanding 10Gb Compatible SFP+, Xenpak, XFP or X2 Modules
The 10GB Xenpak and X2 devices come standard with SC connectors and the XFP and SFP+ devices with LC connectors.
To understand 10 GB compatible Modules it is essential to be familiar with the following standards:
- LR Standard (Long Range)= Fibre 10GBase, Single-mode, 10-25km (depending fibre specification), 1310nm,
- SR Standard (Short Range) = Fibre 10GBase, Multi-mode, <300-400m (depending on fibre specification), 850nmon
- ER Standard (Extended Range)= Fibre 10Gbase, Single-mode, 25-30km (depending on fibre specification), 1550nm
Xenpak was the first pluggable transceiver on the market to support the 802.3ae standard transmission optics. They are large, bulky and used mainly in LAN Switches.
X2 is the smaller brother of the Xenpak pluggable transceivers and allows for more port density on switches.
XFP is the newest pluggable transceiver on the market.
SFP+ increases the capacity of the existing SFP from 1GB to 10GB.
The following will be typical questions to qualify which product is needed:
- Determine for which brand switch a compatible GBIC or SFP is needed (Netshield supplies Cisco/3Com/Nortel/HP and Avaya compatible modules)
- Determine whether a Xenpak, X2, XFP or SFP+ is needed
- Determine whether Multi-mode or Single-mode is needed. If Multi-mode is needed you have thus determined that the SR standard is needed. If Single-mode is needed determine the distance that is required. You have thus determined whether LR Standard or ER Standard is required.
CLICK ON LOGO FOR DISTRIBUTOR CONTACT DETAILS
10Gb Compatibles Overview
Xenpack (Cisco, 3COM,HP)
X2 (Cisco, HP)
XFP (Cisco, 3COM, HP)